夜上海论坛NC

Teen Killed in Collision with Dallas Fire-Rescue Ambulance

first_imgRelated: Dallas Drunk Driver Accused of Hitting Ambulance Carrying Pregnant Woman The ambulance was parked at a stop sign Sunday to tend to the patient in the back while on the way to the hospital, NBC Dallas-Fort Worth reports. The person behind the wheel of the ambulance washospitalized with minor injuries and released. A paramedic was also sent to thehospital with a possible concussion. The patient in the back was not hurt. A 15-year-old boy speeding in another car lost control ofthe vehicle and landed on the roof before hitting the driver’s side of theambulance.center_img DALLAS — A 16-year-old teenage girl was killed and five otherswere sent to the hospital after a crash involving a Dallas Fire-Rescue ambulance,according to reports. Three people in the crash vehicle were take to the hospital,where the girl later died.last_img read more

South Eastern franchise competition cancelled pending Rail Review

first_imgThe shortlisted bidders for the next franchise were Govia, a joint venture of Abellio, East Japan Railway and Mitsui & Co, and a joint venture of Stagecoach and Alstom. Trenitalia had withdrawn to focus on bidding for the West Coast Partnership inter-city contract.Following the discovery of non-compliance issues will all these bids, DfT completed a rebid process in August 2018. The Stagecoach joint venture was subsequently disqualified from South Eastern and two other competitions.On April 10 this year, the then Secretary of State for Transport Chris Grayling announced that the start of the new franchise would be delayed ‘while we make a decision on the competition’, and Govia was directly awarded a contract running to at least November 10.Industry responseResponding to the news that the competition had been cancelled, Go-Ahead Chief Executive David Brown said ‘a lot of hard work was put into a strong bid that would have built upon the achievements of Southeastern in recent years’. The company was ‘disappointed that our original bid is not being taken forward’, and would ‘engage with the DfT on the next steps’.Abellio said it was ‘a really disappointing outcome for customers across the South Eastern network’. It had ‘spent many months working with customer groups, councils and business organisations and we believe our investment plan would have delivered significant improvements with more seats, more services, better trains and upgraded stations’.Dyan Crowther, Chief Executive of HS1 Ltd which manages the high speed line used by some South Eastern services, said stopping the competition ‘does provide a real chance to rethink the specifications of the franchise and consider the benefits more high speed trains between London and Kent can bring’, with the ‘real prize’ being ‘the opportunity to deliver more regeneration, more housing and more jobs for London and the southeast’.The opposition Labour party and trade unions reiterated their calls for nationalisation. General Secretary of the TSSA union Manuel Cortes said cancellation ‘amounts to a vote of no confidence in the whole franchising process and an admission by the government that competition on our railways simply does not work’, while his counterpart at the RMT union Mick Cash said‎ ‘the chaos of short-term extensions to get the government off the hook is a measure of just how rotten their rail policies are’. UK: The Department for Transport terminated the competition for the next South Eastern franchise on August 7, saying it had ‘significant concerns’ that continuing with the process ‘would lead to additional costs incurred to the taxpayer, with no certainty that this would deliver envisaged benefits for passengers in a timely fashion’.DfT said it had ‘made every effort and considered all possible options to complete the competition, including a further rebid’, but concluded that cancellation would deliver the best outcome.As a result, it has exercised an option to extend incumbent Govia’s current directly awarded contract until April 1 2020. This will ensure service continuity beyond the expected publication of a review of the structure of the rail industry which the government has commissioned from Keith Williams.Next stepsDfT said the conclusions of the Williams Rail Review would be used to inform what happens next at South Eastern. It intends to implement lessons learned from the review, and to ‘develop a solution that delivers the capacity and performance benefits that passengers are expecting’.Last month Williams ;said ‘franchising in its current form has had its day’, with the model adopted in the mid-1990s now ‘preventing innovation, long-term decision-making and stopping the railway working as a system’.South Eastern franchiseThe South Eastern franchise covering commuter services in London, Kent and East Sussex has been operated by the Govia joint venture of Go-Ahead (65%) and Keolis (35%) under the Southeastern brand since April 2006, originally under a competitively-tendered eight-year franchise and then under direct award contracts.#*#*Show Fullscreen*#*#last_img read more

Govt ignoring recommendations of Economic Services Committee – Ali

first_imgWales Estate closurePeople’s Progressive Party (PPP) point man on the parliamentary Economic Services Committee (ESC), Irfaan Ali, said Government has not been adhering to any recommendation made by the Committee regarding the issue at the Wales Sugar Estate.On Sunday, Agriculture Minister Noel Holder told Guyana Times that Government was still awaiting an assessment of the Economic Services Committee, where the report of the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into the sugar industry was sent in January of this year.It is hoped that the report would provide some guidelines so that a decision could be made about the future ofOpposition MP Irfaan Alithe more than 1700 workers of the Wales Sugar Estate.Holder said too that there seems to be some amount of carelessness by the Opposition PPP, which is part of the Committee, to make known its recommendations. The Party is represented by Ali, who is also a Member of Parliament.Ali, however, on Monday said the Committee has been having countless meetings with numerous recommendations being passed onto Government. However, those recommendations are not being accepted, he said, adding that the Committee has issues with the way Government has been operating, since, instead of taking the recommendations, it has been acting on its own and implementing the ideas of outside sources.He said Government has been acting “wantonly” and that includes the very closure of Wales Estate. According to him, if Government wants any recommendation from the Committee, it must ease on its closure of estates.Following the announcement of the Wales Estate closure, Government had sent the final report of the CoI into the sugar industry to the special parliamentary committee for review. It is still awaiting that report. According to Holder, the committee has been in existence for far too long and should have already carried out most of the work required.He said by now, the Committee should have already had discussions with persons who participated in the Inquiry, among other matters. He said the Committee was, however, expected to meet on Wednesday, May 11, and hoped that some developments could be had in this regard. Holder noted that the future of the sugar workers continued to hang in the balance.Government, in January of this year, confirmed that the Estate would be closed in December after GuyanaAgriculture Minister Noel HolderTimes broke the story.The announcement had sparked a series of outraged protests over the months following. Workers and their families said they were unsure of what the future held for them, especially since they knew no other form of work.On Friday last, the High Court issued an interim injunction barring GuySuCo from dismissing or redeploying hundreds of sugar workers attached to the Wales Sugar Estate, without first consulting with their unions, the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) and the National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE).The action was brought after GuySuCo began discussions with individual employees of Wales Estate to negotiate severance packages, without informing or involving the unions. GuySuCo on Monday said it was still to receive the necessary legal documents regarding the interim injunction that was granted by Justices William Ramlall and Diana Insanally in the Full Court of the High Court.The unions are represented by Attorneys Mohabir Anil Nandlall, Euclin Gomes, Sase Gunraj, Manoj Narayan and Sasha Mahadeo.last_img read more

Brendan Rodgers rues basic defensive errors from Celtic

first_imgBrendan Rodgers has rued the defensive lapses that saw Celtic crash out of Champions League qualifying at the hands of AEK Athens.After a 1-1 draw in Glasgow, AEK were 2-1 winners in Greece as they seized upon errors in the Celtic back-line to ensure progress to the play-off round.Rodgers admitted that the early exit was a disappointment and that the fault lay in “basic” mistakes at the back.“Of course I’m very, very disappointed,” he said. “I felt that in general in the game we played very well but we conceded two soft goals. “Add that to the goal we conceded in the first leg and we’re really disappointed in that aspect.“In terms of lots of our game I felt that we were the better football team over course of the two games and in the main there wasn’t too many opportunities against us but you can’t concede that easily. And unfortunately it’s cost us”The Celtic boss said that the problem wasn’t confined to the two-legged tie, highlighting goals conceded in previous rounds and in the opening two Premiership matches.“There’s been elements I’ve seen over the early parts of the season,” he said. “We conceded against Livingston with a soft goal, against Alashkert with a soft goal, at Hearts we’ve given away a goal and over these two legs. “We’re not getting opened up and having fantastic goals scored against us. It’s concentration and basic defending. So it’s hard to get your head around but we have to go away and work with the players we have and try and improve and make them better.“I always say you shouldn’t have to lose to learn, but when you do lose you have to learn.“That’s our message and we get back on to the training field on Thursday and try to improve.”The manager reiterated earlier comments that Dedryck Boyata was fit to play but did not travel, and said that the defender “would have helped” if available.Celtic will now face Spartaks Jurmala or Suduva Marijampole in the Europa League play-off and Rodgers said his team would be working hard to deliver European football for the months to come.“Europa League is still a prestigious competition,” he said. “Of course, the two seasons I’ve been here we’ve qualified for the Champions League. “It’s been a step too far for us this season so we first of all have to get through that final play-off game and ensure that we have European football. “At this moment in time, it’s just the disappointment from the game and obviously the way that we went out which is the only thing in my thinking.”Celtic defender Mikael Lustig echoed Rodgers’ disappointment and said the players now need to show the right response.“It’s really hard to take but you need to bounce back,” he said. “That’s what makes a really good team if you manage to bounce back when you lost two games in a row. “It’s just get back on the horse and try to do better next time.”last_img read more