HomeEarthCalifornia utilities eye power cuts amid fire danger Sep. 24, 2019 at 6:00 amEarthEnvironmentNewsCalifornia utilities eye power cuts amid fire dangerAssociated Press2 years agoEric Curthnational weather servicePacific Gas & Electricpowerwildfires OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ Associated PressCalifornia’s two largest utilities were considering cutting power Monday to tens of thousands of customers as fall brings back dangerous weather conditions and the companies try to head off wildfires sparked by electrical equipment.Pacific Gas & Electric Corp. was expected to decide by Monday evening whether controlled power outages affecting as many as 21,000 customers would be needed to ease the risk of wildfires in Northern California.Meanwhile, Southern California Edison said it might shut off power to 41,000 customers due to forecasts calling for gusty Santa Ana winds. The utility initially estimated about 10,000 customers could be impacted.Major increases were focused on San Bernardino and Riverside counties. Power cuts could also occur in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara counties.Some of the most destructive blazes in the state in the past two years were started by Pacific Gas & Electric power lines.If approved by San Francisco-based PG&E, outages could occur later in the day and affect portions of Butte, Nevada and Yuba counties in the Sierra foothills. The utility previously warned of possible shut-offs affecting an estimated 124,000 customers.Strong winds, low humidity and warm temperatures were forecast in the region through Wednesday, and authorities issued an extreme fire danger warning for some areas.Wind gusts could reach 50 mph (80 kph) in the northern Sierra and foothills, and between 30 to 40 mph (48 to 64 kph) in the Sacramento Valley and near the Pacific coast, said Eric Curth, a forecaster with the National Weather Service.“Humidity levels are dropping, and winds are picking up,” Curth said. “The main threat is overnight when the winds pick up in the mountains and foothills.”PG&E first cut off power preemptively last October, affecting some 87,000 customers. The move prompted complaints and demands for reimbursement.But the utility canceled plans to shut off power ahead of a blaze that killed 86 people and nearly destroyed the town of Paradise.An investigation by Cal Fire said transmission lines owned and operated by the utility started the Nov. 8 fire that wiped out nearly 15,000 homes.The investigation identified a second nearby ignition site involving PG&E’s electrical distribution lines that had contacted vegetation. The second fire was quickly consumed by the initial fire.California regulators in May approved allowing utilities to cut off electricity to avoid catastrophic wildfires but said utilities must do a better job ramping up preventive efforts and educating and notifying the public, particularly people with disabilities and others who are vulnerable.In January, PG&E sought bankruptcy protection, saying it could not afford an estimated $30 billion in potential damages from lawsuits stemming from catastrophic wildfires.Earlier this month, PG&E agreed to pay $11 billion to insurance companies holding 85% of the claims from fires that include the November 2018 Paradise blaze.The settlement, confirmed Monday, is subject to bankruptcy court approval.It’s important for PG&E to pull itself from bankruptcy protection because it will be a big part of a wildfire fund set up to help California’s major utilities pay future claims as climate change makes wildfires more frequent and severe.Associated Press writers Juliet Williams in San Francisco and John Antczak in Los Angeles contributed to this report.Tags :Eric Curthnational weather servicePacific Gas & Electricpowerwildfiresshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentYour Column Here – Rotary Club of Santa MonicaJudge rejects Avenatti request to move case to CaliforniaYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall7 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson18 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter18 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor18 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press18 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press18 hours ago
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
Missouri opens Southeastern Conference play Saturday at Kentucky (2-1) and hopes Russell Hansbrough, a 1,000-yard rusher last year, can revive the running game.COLUMBIA – The Missouri defense is doing its job. It sure could use some more points to work with.The 25th-ranked Tigers (3-0) are second in the nation in tackles for loss with 34, and fourth in the nation in total defense, allowing 217 yards per game. Kentrell Brothers leads the nation with 42 tackles and Charles Harris is tied for the lead with eight tackles for loss.There are no highlight bullet points for the other side of the ball. Perhaps the return of running back Russell Hansbrough will make a big difference.The offense is coming off its lowest scoring total in a victory since 1978, beating UConn 9-6 last week after entering as three-touchdown favorites. Quarterback Maty Mauk heard the boos, and he’s avoiding Twitter and other social media.“I just want to focus on us,” Mauk said. “They kind of got mad and did the booing thing. We’ve got to give them something to cheer about.”“I hope we get upset about it,” offensive coordinator Josh Henson added. “We need to play better. We need to have a sense of urgency to get it done.”The Tigers open Southeastern Conference play Saturday at Kentucky (2-1).Missouri is averaging less than 5 yards per play and is ranked 118th nationally in that category. The Tigers average slightly more than 3 yards per rush, ranked 122nd, and one-fifth of their carries have been for no gain or for a loss.Missouri is averaging 107 yards rushing per game, worst in the SEC.“We need to run the ball better,” coach Gary Pinkel said. “That’s football 101. We’ll continue to work hard.”Ish Witter has been the primary ball carrier in Hansbrough’s absence, rushing 41 times for 131 yards. Mauk is second with 96 yards on 25 carries and the school’s lone rushing touchdown.Hansbrough said not playing against UConn was difficult but necessary.“Just taking off that past week was a big deal,” Hansbrough said. “It helped my ankle a lot just staying off of it. I’m feeling a lot better.”In the SEC, only South Carolina (1-2) has scored fewer points per game than Missouri. The Gamecocks average 19.7 points, while the Tigers average 23.3. Missouri has just six trips inside the 20, fewest in the conference.Hansbrough is probable this week after getting rested last week to rehab a sprained ankle. A 1,000-yard rusher last year, he’s been limited to seven carries for 38 yards.“That’s going to be a big help for us,” Mauk said. “He’s going to be a huge help.”Mauk said he also realizes there’s much he can improve upon. He wants to work on getting the ball out faster.“Whatever it is, just know my progressions, know my reads, and make sure I always have that escape route to find the running back or whoever that last guy is,” Mauk said.Mauk said he’s not worried about some fans clamoring to see more of freshman Drew Lock. In fact, he’s doing all he can to get Lock ready.“It’s not a distraction at all,” Mauk said. “He’s one play away from being in there full-time, and whatever I have to do to help him progress is what I’m going to do.”
By NICOLE WILLIAMS Space shortage leaves businesses fuming over… BERWICK businesses are at their wits’ end with parking restrictions costing…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
print WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email Eric began rallying in 2013, and has contested the Southern 4 series from 2014 onwards. He intends to tackle either the Triton Showers National Rally Championship or the Irish Tarmac series in 2017.Eric is a self-employed mechanical engineer in Novartis, in Ringaskiddy, Cork. His principal sponsor is CBtoolhire.com, with further assistance from Colin Byrne of Midleton, Donal O’Brien Cars, TM Valeting and Shane Fitzgerald Evo Signs, of Cork.The winner of the Motorsport Ireland Billy Coleman Young Rally Driver of the Year Award receives €50,000 worth of support to contest stage rallies nationally & internationally in 2017 along with the support of Billy Coleman co-ordinator, Tom Walsh, while the two runners-up will receive free entries into a number of MI permitted events in 2017, along with co-ordinator support.Eric joins with the four other bi-monthly winners selected from January-February, through to July-August, along with the highest placed eligible drivers from both the Junior Championship in the Triton Showers National series and the Junior category in the Valvoline National Forestry Championship, and a wildcard selection, as the award finalists. Eric Calnan has been nominated for this year’s Motorsport Ireland Billy Coleman Young Rally Driver Award for his performances in September and October. The 25 year-old from Carrigaline, Co Cork, drove his Peugeot 106 to victory in the Junior sections of both the Cork 20 International and last weekend’s Fastnet Rally, finishing in a tremendous eleventh place overall in the Skibbereen event. Earlier in the year, he took third position in the Junior section of the International Rally of the Lakes, and was runner-up in the Southern 4 Championship for the second year in succession.
Alex, who trains with Galway City Harriers and is ateacher in the Bish, has returned from camp in Portugal and flies out with theIrish team tomorrow week for the championships. Alex joined John Mulligan in studio to talk about his inclusion in the team. Alex Lee and John Mulligan in the studio following his interview on Fridayprint WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email Galway native, Alex Lee, will make history as hebecomes Ireland’s first ever ‘blade runner’ when he competes for Ireland in the100m and 200m T64 heats at the World Para Athletics Championships in Dubai fromNovember 7th to November 15th.
print WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email Tiger Roll and Davy Russell, winners of the 2019 Randox Health Aintree Grand National An online auction of racing items and memorabilia donated by the Irish racing and breeding industry, has helped raise €50,000 for the Feed The Heroes organisation. The auction, promoted and managed by Horse Racing Ireland (HRI), raised €31,158 for Feed The Heroes, a not-for-profit voluntary organisation set up to fundraise to feed frontline hospital and emergency workers dealing with the Covid-19 health emergency. A Horse Racing Ireland donation helped make the final total of €50,000. The top lot was a Tiger Roll Aintree Grand National saddle cloth signed by Davy Russell and Gordon Elliott, which raised €4,100. The 36 auction lots included a Galway Festival course walk with Ruby Walsh, corporate hospitality at Longines Irish Champions Weekend, signed Al Boum Photo silks and a yard visit to Ger Lyons. Brian Kavanagh, CEO of Horse Racing Ireland, commented: “I would like to thank everyone for donating so generously. It is really heartening to see how the Irish racing and breeding industry has come together to support our online auction to raise money for Feed The Heroes. In these uncertain and worrying times, it’s brilliant to see such positivity and unity by everyone to support the amazing work of the frontline staff. Horse Racing Ireland is delighted to top up the money raised to €50,000 and we hope this donation can, in some small way, give practical support to all the nurses, doctors and carers on the Covid-19 frontline to whom we are eternally grateful.”
Gardai are asking motorists to view dashcam footage following a suspected arson attack in broad daylight in Falcarragh.The blaze happened yesterday afternoon at around 3pm in the Derryreel area.Extensive damage was caused to an unoccupied bungalow but nobody was hurt in the incident. Gardai say early indications are that the fire was started maliciously and have appealed for anybody who was in the area at the time or may have dashcam footage to come forward.It is the second suspected arson attack on a home in the county in recent days.However, Gardai do not think the attacks are connected.Another fire gutted a family home in Kilmacrennan earlier this week. Advertisement A young family were due to move into their dream home before Christmas before it was torched on Sunday last.Gardai appeal for witnesses after second arson attack in days was last modified: December 24th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:arsonattackdonegalFalcarraghGardaiinvestigationkilmacrennan
Each week, we’ll be featuring opinion pieces from the alumni and current participants of AFF’s Writing Fellows Program. A few highlights from the past week are below. Do you dream of having bylines like these? See here for info on how we can help make that a reality.Trump vs. Xi, mano a mano by Tyler Grant (Summer 2018) in The Washington ExaminerA gaggle of economists and policy wonks gathered around the bargaining table haggling over trade terms doesn’t make for the greatest TV. And for the reality TV-star president and his Mao-acolyte rival, two mega-personalities accustomed to leveraging their public perception as a way of attaining and maintaining power, such closed-door diplomacy is even less glamorous still.It’s no surprise, then, that oft-private trade negotiations have taken a public-facing persona with Chinese President Xi Jinping and President Trump. The result is a trade “war” that resembles a battle of wills more than an economic policy dispute, a one-on-one between Trump and Xi played out in the court of public opinion…Robocalls may be annoying, but not all are bad by Krisztina Pusok (Fall 2017) in The HillLast month, residents of Washington, D.C. received over 26 million automated pre-recorded phone calls, also known as robocalls; that is an average of 47 robocalls per person, almost 4 times the national average. The problem is so pervasive that Americans lost more than $10 billion last year thanks to fake charity appeals and bogus IRS tax delinquency notices, among other robocall scams.While robocalls have built up a bad reputation especially among consumers, it is less obvious that 60 percent are in fact “legitimate” robocalls — such as the ones that come from pharmacies, schools, or weather alerts. Not distinguishing between the useful and legal robocalls and the annoying and illegal robocalls could cause major problems for consumers, businesses with legitimate uses for robocalls, and ultimately on how enforcement agencies and wireless providers deal with the issue…Banning Flavored Vapes Is the Worst Possible Response to Youth Vaping Fears by Andrew Wilford (Spring 2017) in TownhallSay what you will about moral panics, but they do bring together strange bedfellows! That’s certainly been the case with concerns about flavored vapes. In announcing a forthcoming federal ban on most flavored vapes, President Trump sided with some unusual allies — namely the true-blue states of California and New York. But in truth, this is just another reminder that bipartisan ideas can be just as wrong as partisan ones, and banning flavored vapes will succeed only in pushing vapers back to more harmful cigarettes…
Tags:#Product Reviews#web Related Posts Uber-hyped question and answer site Quora has finally released its long-awaited iPhone app today and it’s ok. I wish it was better but I’ll probably use it more than the website. As expected, location is a big part of it, though I wish location was more granular and involved automated categorization. That’s not really the biggest let-down though. There are a number of other issues with it. TechCrunch’s MG Siegler says he’s been testing the app for days, yet he didn’t offer any critique of it in his write-up. So I thought I’d focus on three things I’ve noticed this morning that I wish were better.This should be an iPad app, not an iPhone app. Quora is all about in-depth discussion. As Siegler says, “You visit the site just to see what’s going on, 30 minutes later you’re still there.” That’s true – and who wants to spend 30 minutes navigating around inside lengthy posts and comments on a phone? I don’t – I want this Quora app on my iPad. Unfortunately, that’s not supported at launch. It really needs a “mark as read” function. I almost never complain about info overload, but when you’re following a lot of different topics – you get a lot of notifications on your home page. If my brain has to see and skip a question about “why shrimp turns grey when you cook it” one more time, I’m going to scream. Especially on a mobile interface – there needs to be an easy and well executed mark as read function. Personally, I’d like everything I scroll past on the app’s home page to be marked as read, with a “view all” button at the top of the page if I want to see all the day’s notifications again.Navigation is funky. Click on a message in your Quora inbox and you land at the bottom of the page and have to scroll up to read the message. Reading comments on posts takes like 3 clicks to get into browser mode. I’ve got a notification of new content in the Nearby tab and I can neither figure out what the new content is nor make the notification go away.I love Quora, I love what the site is trying to do and I want to love its mobile app. I can’t yet, though. Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market marshall kirkpatrick